Mount Washinton via Nelson Crag Trail
Full Day Hike DATE: 07/17/2021 - 07/17/2021
Trip/Event Location: Pinkham Notch, NH
Trip Leader(s): nhclimber03264
Max # People: 12
Trip Guiding / Event Fee: No, I will not be asking participants for money
Difficulty Level: Moderate to Strenuous
Mt Washington via Nelson Crag: The Nelson Crag Trail is an excellent trail challenge. It provides a steep rocky grade on the lower half and completely exposed upper half. Unlike other routes to the...
Group will meet at 10 am and depart up the trail by 10:20.
Pinkham Notch Visitor Center www.outdoors.org/lodging-camping/lodges/pinkham/ is a very popular and busy place for hikers and tourists. This particular day there is a huge fund raiser “Seek the Peak” (based at the Mt Washington Auto Road). Anticipate parking to be an issue. I suggest you arrive early. There is parking at the visitor center with overflow at the Wildcat Ski Area (approx. ½ mile north). Find a space that works for you.
- The visitor center is located on route 16 in Pinkham notch, north of Jackson NH. GPS will get you to this location and cell service is available.
Where to meet: The group will assemble in front of the visitor center and Joe Dodge Lodge. A flag or sign will be posted (sending specific details the week prior). There are bathroom facilities available, as well as food and beverages in the shop.
- Because of trip preparation the trip leader is unable to provide a ride for this trip.
- If you are traveling a long distance and need advice on accommodations, please contact me. There are several options from inns, B&B to campgrounds. Availability maybe difficult so plan ahead. If there is enough interest a group campsite could be arranged at a USFS campground.
Amazing leadership by Jon - once again, making those tough decisions!
Thank you Bob for your kind hospitality. Truly valued and appreciated.
This is definitely a trip for the books. It was an honor to hike with everyone to the summit of the highest peak in the northeast. This trail was the second hardest route to the summit, and everyone should be proud to have made it considering the conditions. Rain and clouds were difficult at times but it did not deter anyone. Truly an amazing, kind, and supportive group of hikers through out the adventure. Everyone worked together to make this hike a success. Very special thanks to members BOBCAT for opening his home to travelers making it easier for many to participate and not have to drive long distance and to dpbyrnes for getting hot food on a cold rainy night. Every trip is an experience and truly a learning one. Thank you all, Jon
There are 4 photos in Album (Note: Move mouse pointer over larger pic and click on NEXT for better viewing)
What Members Are Saying About This Trip/Event
- Thanks to JT for leading and to Bob and John for hosting in Sugar Hill. It was a great group. I'm always happy to return home to the White Mountains! - Richardg
- Equipment failure be damned, even though it ruined my pedicure. Awesome hike, would do it again. Thanks for a great hike. - mrmichang
- Thanks JT for leading this challenging hike up my favorite mountain! It was great to "Seek the Peak" with everyone! - Bobcat
Richardg Jul 19, 2021 at 6:28 PM
Comment: Thanks to JT for leading and to Bob and John for hosting in Sugar Hill. It was a great group. I'm always happy to return home to the White Mountains!
mrmichang Jul 19, 2021 at 10:55 AM
Comment: Equipment failure be damned, even though it ruined my pedicure. Awesome hike, would do it again. Thanks for a great hike.
Bobcat Jul 18, 2021 at 3:48 PM
Comment: Thanks JT for leading this challenging hike up my favorite mountain! It was great to "Seek the Peak" with everyone!