HIKES & EVENTS
Overnight Hut Trip
DATE: Nov 10, 2023
END DATE: Nov 12, 2023
Hike/Event Location: Zealand Notch NH
Plymouth, NH United States
Meeting Time: 2:00 PM
Max # People: 25
Hike Guiding / Event Fee: No, I will not be asking participants for money
Hike Difficulty Level:
Moderate to Strenuous
(Do you qualify to attend with this hike difficulty rating? Click Here.)
Sign Up To This Trip/Event
You must be a least a guest member to participate. Comments such as "+1" or "bringing a friend" are NOT permitted. All participants must sign-up for the event individually.
Select your mode of transportation, make any comments and then click on button.
You are not logged in.
Please, Log In
Veteran's Day Weekend at Zealand Hut
Zealand Hut is one of three AMC huts that remains open year-round. In the “off season,” the hut is open to guests on a “self-serve” basis.
- Full kitchen access and running water are available.
- Bunk rooms are unheated, and guests must provide their own sleeping bags.
- Wood heat is started late afternoon into the evening, but no heat is available in the morning. An AMC staff member is an available resource.
- Zealand Hut is located right on Zealand Falls and overlooks the Zealand Notch. Chilly late fall evening will be a great place to share ghost stories and experience the local haunts.
- Saturday Day hike includes Zealand Mtn (4260), Mt Guyot (4580), or Thoreau Falls, Mt Tom, Field, and Willy are all possible options for day hikes from the hut.
Hike to Zealand Hut is rated MODERATE
- easy short distance (2.5 miles)
- Carrying gear for overnights
The day trip is rated MODERATE to STRENUOUS
- rocky grade and
- steady consistent pace.
Please contact the trip leader directly regarding pace, trail conditions, and any other concerns.
Trail Details and Distances:
Zealand Trail – departs the parking area at the end of the Zealand Road (directions below). This trail is fairly easy grade following an old railroad grade all the way to the junction of the Twinway and Ethan Pond Trails (2.3 miles). The last quarter mile is a steep but stable (stone stairs) approach to the hut.
Overnight reservations (2 nights)
- AMC reservations are the responsibility of each participating member. BOOK NOW! Huts fill up on the weekends fast.
- Trip leader will NOT be collecting any fees or arranging any reservations.
- Reserving your spot on the GO website does NOT reserve your bunk at the hut.
- YOU must contact the AMC www.outdoors.org to make your reservation.
PREPARATION/WHAT TO BRING:
For this trip, it is important to bring along flexibility, patience, and a sense of humor.
The White Mountains can and do have unpredictable and extreme weather changes year-round. Hikers should prepare for possible winter conditions. Snow and ice can be possible along the trail, especially at higher elevations.
- Hikers can plan according to weather conditions; food, and water (2 liters) are needed. Water refill available at Zealand Hut. Snacks can also be purchased at the hut.
- Overnight accommodations are in unheated bunkrooms. Sleeping bags are needed. Zealand Hut is heated from late afternoon until mid-evening, with no heat in the morning. Hikers are expected to bring and prepare their own food, full kitchen is available.
- Gear can be left at the hut during the day hike.
- If you need suggestions on what to bring, PLEASE ASK!!
Group Size: It is not fun leaving folks out of trips.
- PLEASE cancel so others may join. If you are on the waiting list, please contact me the days prior to the trip, most likely there is room and if needed this trail will allow us to break the group into smaller groups.
- Decreasing the impact on the environment is always a priority!
- Please plan to “carry in and carry out” all items. It may also be possible to collect other hikers’ debris along the way. AMC is not a recycling center – plan to carry out the trash so pack accordingly.
Weather: The weather for this trip will be monitored the week prior. If it is a concern any updates or cancellation information will be posted by the Wednesday prior by 6 pm. If it is a cancellation, it will include a rescheduled date so participants can watch for that opportunity.
For weather details.
- Mt Washington Observatory www.mountwashington.org
- National Weather Service – NOAA www.weather.gov
- Weather www.weather.com
Safety is a priority! Any time a hiker is injured or lost a HUGE team of volunteers is dispatched to aid in the search and rescue efforts.
- No one wants to be injured or put other in harm’s way.
- Always be prepared. Know your limits.
- Any questions feel free to contact me.
Resources used to plan this trip:
- AMC White Mountain Guide
- Mount Washington Observatory www.mountwashington.org
- US Forest Service www.usfs.gov
- Zealand Hut elevation is 2640ft and is 2.6 miles from the parking lot located on Zealand Road.
Directions To Trailhead Parking Lot
Where to park: Overnight parking is available at the trail head located on the Zealand Road. Zealand Road is located off Route 302 in Twin Mountain NH. Zealand Road is 2.8 miles east from the intersection of Route 3 and Route 302 in Twin Mountain. Look for USFS signs “Zealand Picnic Area”. Drive to the end, 3.5 miles.
Gathering: Hikers may meet at the parking lot at 2 pm (sharp) Friday afternoon if they wish to hike in a group or may hike solo at their own leisure.