POPOLOPEN GORGE & TORNE DAY HIKE
Hiking/Walk DATE: 10/27/2013 - 10/27/2013
Trip/Event Location: Bear Mountain, NY
Trip Leader(s): henry
Max # People: 25
Trip Guiding / Event Fee: No, I will not be asking participants for money
Difficulty Level: Moderate to Strenuous
This is a circular hike along a roaring creek in a steep gorge with a visit to a lake and the Torne (hill) with views of the Bear Mt. area and Hudson River. We'll meet at the front of the Bear...
- Travel By: Car, bus or train (pick up from station needed.) 1) Short Line buses go to the Bear Mountain Inn from the Port Authority, departing at 8:45AM and returning at 5:19PM. Fare: $26.70. https://www.coachusa.com/shortline/booking.asp?action=ProductDetail&TRP=1&productId=1983 2) MetroNorth: 8:43AM train from Grand Central arriving in Peekskill at 9:42. (Same train leaves 125th St. at 8:54.) There are trains from Peekskill back to the city at 4:35 and 5:35. Off-peak round trip fare: $23.50. IMPORTANT NOTE: We must make sure we have a ride from the station for all train riders. 3) Drive and park at the Bear Mt. Inn, which is in Bear Mountain State Park near the Bear Mt. Bridge. Unless you have a NYS Empire Park Pass, there's an $8 parking fee. Please!! let us know if you are driving and can ride share or shuttle any fellow hikers from the train.
- Meet At: In front of the Bear Mountain Inn [55 Hessian Drive, Highland Falls, NY] http://www.visitbearmountain.com/maps-directions.htm
- Costs: Return train ($23.50) or bus ($26.70) fare. If you are driving and you don't have a NYS Empire pass on your car, there is an $8 parking fee to park at the Bear Mt. Inn.
- Weather: Major rain prediction cancels. Light, intermittent rain does not.
We had a great and invigorating hike. The Fall colors were beautiful; and the view from the top of the mountain was spectacular. It was a well attended event - we had 22 hikers and a dog! All were very friendly and in great spirit. This was a joint event with Sundance; and special thanks has to be given to Andrew for his hardwork and leadership! He did all the research for this hike and gave insightful instructions during the hike. A special mention to Pepa for organizing the train people; and to Jim for giving me a ride. Shout out as well to the drivers who shared their ride with our fellow hikers who took the train.
Bear Mountain Inn was hosting Oktoberfest that weekend. After the hike, we stayed for a few minutes for a cup of beer, friendly conversation, and relaxing our tired aching legs and feet! The beer was refreshing and good. A fitting finish to a hard day's work.
- The Trip Has No Photos -
What Members Are Saying About This Trip/Event
- Henry, What a great hike, thank you for hosting!! - kc
kc Oct 28, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Comment: Henry, What a great hike, thank you for hosting!!