Portland's Adventure Group
By Mike Boisvert.
Portland's Adventure Group offers outdoor activities for the gay community. Their mission statement says it all: The "Adventure Group is a group of gays, lesbians, and bisexuals who promote a positive attitude about themselves through outdoor activities."
The Adventure Group was started in 1986, by Jamail. Every Sunday, for seven years, he led an informal hike or cross-country ski outing. These trips attracted a diverse group of people who built friendships as they enjoyed the outdoors. In the Fall of 1993, Jamail chose to "retire" and turned the group over to its members. The club continues this tradition of camaraderie and love of outdoor activities.
The Adventure Group is a local, Portland group, which is run by its volunteer members. They have over 200 members. The group has a formal structure that attends to the business of administering the club. The primary purpose of this Leadership Committee is to provide a framework in which members can volunteer to lead outdoor oriented events. Paying members are encouraged to participate and contribute. They are also entitled to these benefits:
- The camaraderie of others in the community, who share common interests.
- No paperwork to fill out at events.
- The ability to tailor events to their interests.
- Receive The Adventurer, their monthly newsletter, which keeps members informed on all upcoming events.
- Receive a membership roster, so they can network with fellow members.
On average, the club offers one or more events each week. Here are some of the events you can expect, depending upon leader and member interest.
- Traditionally, they offer weekend hikes beginning in March and running through mid-October
- Thursday evening hikes, during the Summer, to destinations within the Portland metropolitan area, and Winter day hikes as weather permits
- Weekly walks throughout the year
- Biking trips throughout the season
- Overnight camping trips in the summer.
- Downhill and cross country ski trips throughout the winter
- Overnight ski trips
- River rafting trips
- An annual exchange event with their sister club in Vancouver
Membership dues are charged on an annual basis of twenty or thirty dollars per year. Dues cover the costs of administration, producing and mailing the newsletter, website costs, and for other club activities that the membership deems to be beneficial.
To become a member you must complete a membership form, pay your dues and sign a Liability Waiver. Once you have become a member, you can join, participate in, or lead any events that are of interest to you. All membership information is held strictly confidential within the group.
For more information about the club, visit their website at http://www.adventuregroup.org/
© 2006 Gay Outdoors ; All Rights Reserved.