MTS MORGAN & PERCIVAL
Hiking/Walk DATE: 05/12/2018 - 05/12/2018
Trip/Event Location: Holderness, NH
Trip Leader(s): jonathanclark
Max # People: 12
Trip Guiding / Event Fee: No, I will not be asking participants for money
Difficulty Level: Moderate to Strenuous
Please join me for this 5.5 mile loop hike of Mts Morgan & Percival. The 2200' peaks sit above Squam Lake and afford spectacular views south to Squam and Lake Winnepesauke after a 150... Driving directions to the location and spot to meet at:
- From I-93, take Exit 24 and follow Rt. 3 South to Holderness.
- From Holderness, get on Rt. 113 and follow it northeast for 5.8 miles.
- Parking for this trail is at the end of a short gravel road on your left.
From the East:
- From the junction of Rt. 113 and Rt. 109 in Center Sandwich, follow Rt. 113 southwest for 6.0 miles.
- Parking for this trail is at the end of a short gravel road on your right.
Anyone coming from the East (from Portland area or up Route 16) is welcome to consider carpooling with me from Center Ossipee (junction of Rte 16N & 25E)
Despite the initial threat of rain, the forecast cleared, and the weather turned out perfect for hiking. Jonathan (our fearless leader), Joe, Thad, Carl, Randy, Alex, and Minh hiked up to the lookout on Mt. Morgan, with half the group taking the ladder and squeezing through the rock tunnel to get to the lookout. On the way, we saw solomon's seal, clintonia, low-bush blueberry, bluet, trilium, flowering shadbush (aka serviceberry, saskatoon berry) and new leaves from christmas fern. Other than a few squirrels, we saw no other fauna other than the bears who came as part of our group. We took a lunch break at the Mt. Morgan outook and then headed to Mt. Percival. The way down was easy, with great conversation throughout the hike.
There are 1 photos in Album (Note: Move mouse pointer over larger pic and click on NEXT for better viewing)