North Point & North Mountain Ledge
Hiking/Walk DATE: 08/26/2017 - 08/26/2017
Trip/Event Location: Cairo, NY
Meeting Time: 7:00 AM
Max # People: 10
Trip Guiding / Event Fee: No, I will not be asking participants for money
Difficulty Level: Moderate
Overview of this Hike:
Distance: 5.90 round trip from parking lot by Scutt Road. Deduct 0.34 miles for skipping Ashley Falls Trail. Minimum distance is 5.56 miles.
Directions to Trail Head from New York State Thruway (Easist, not the shortest):
- Take New York State Thruway to Exit 21 (Catskill).
- Take a left out of the NYS Thruway entrance road.
- Go approximately 1/4 mile
- Take a right onto Route 23 West
- Go approximately 6.6 miles to Cairo, NY
- Take a LEFT onto Rt 32. McDonalds Rest. on corner.
- Go approximately 7.7 miles on Rt 32
- Take a RIGHT onto Rt 23A
- Go appoximately 7-8 miles to the intersection of Rt 23a and North-South Lake Road.
- Climb up the windy mountain road (Rt 23A). When you reach the top, you will then be in Haines Falls.
- Take a RIGHT onto North Lake Road (DEC sign on corner of road).
- Follow North Lake Road until you almost reach the DEC booths.
- Take a RIGHT onto Scutt Road.
- Take a RIGHT into the DEC parking lot. The parking lot fills up quickly. If the parking lot is full, you can park on the side of the road. Do NOT park down by the two houses.
Sans our trip leader, Bruce, David and I all met on time at 9 AM in the DEC parking lot at the entrance to North-South Lake Park. It was a beautiful and almost autumnal, partly sunny day. Our hike along the Escarpment Trail to North Point took us past Artist's Rock, Sunset Rock, Newman's Ledge and Badman's Cave. After the hike, David headed back home and Bruce and I had lunch at Brios in Phoenicia.
It was good to meet new GO friends and to revisit a classic Catskills hike.
There are 1 photos in Album (Note: Move mouse pointer over larger pic and click on NEXT for better viewing)